Wednesday, 17 March 2021 (via Zoom)
In attendance: Jeff, Bob, Tilo, Bill, April, Marsha
- Responses received to letters we sent to officials in Senegal and Nigeria
- Also received a reply to a letter we sent to officials in Afghanistan: they have recently established the "Joint Committee on Human Rights." For more details, see https://www.amnesty.org/
en/latest/news/2020/12/ afghanistan-new-commission-a- major-step-toward-protection- of-human-rights-defenders/.
- Marksen, who came to last meeting, has been connected (thanks to Dave Rendell) with AIUSA's area specialist for Algeria, who lives in New Jersey. They are meeting this weekend (March 19-20).
- Taxi, a 2015 film by Jafar Panahi.
- From the IMDB listing: "Jafar Panahi is banned from making movies by the Iranian government, he poses as a taxi driver and makes a movie about social challenges in Iran."
- Currently streaming (for a fee) at https://www.filmatique.com/ and on YouTube.
- Nasrin, a 2020 documentary film about Nasrin Sotoudeh.
- From the IMDB listing: "An immersive portrait of one of the world's most courageous human rights activists and political prisoners, Nasrin Sotoudeh, and of Iran's remarkably resilient women's rights movement."
- Currently streaking (for a fee) at https://www.nasrinfilm.com/.
- 2021 AGM update from Bob (who attended with Barbara)
- "Dangers of the Death Penalty": Featured story of a Black woman who was accused of murdering an infant who'd died of natural causes and is now a member of Witness to Innocence (exonerated death row prisoners)
- Reminder from Bill: 2021 Nowruz is NOW (Amnesty's 2021 Nowruz actions are at https://www.amnestyusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Nowruz-action-2021.pdf.)
- "Prisoner of Conscience's Health at Risk" (Iran: UA 12/21)
- "Drop Charges Against Journalist" (USA: UA 14/21)
- "Aleksei Navalny's Health and Life in Danger" (Russian Federation: UA 6/21)
- "Trial Delay for Detailed Australian-Chinese Writer" (China: UA 98.20)
- "Ailing Professor Arrested after Cancelation of Bail" (Pakistan: UA 148/19)
- "End For-Profit Detention Facilities": online letter to Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas