In attendance: Barbara, Bob, Colin, Dalin, Michele, Kara, and Marsha
Group bank account
Wells Fargo has instituted a new $14/month fee for our account. Should we close this account?
Barbara has found a few banks that will give us a fee-free or low-free account, but we need an EIN to get one. AIUSA will not help us obtain an EIN; Barbara is going to see if she knows anyone who can help with this. In the meantime, Tilo will close our Wells Fargo account and hold the cash until we find another solution.
Guest speaker in October
Bill Lockard of DeafCAN! will be the guest speaker at our October meeting. He is going to talk about his organization and about the Bars, Barriers, or Justice Exton and Conference to be held in West Chester next month.
Bars, Barriers, or Justice Exton and Conference
This event on prison justice issues will be held at the C.A. Melton Arts and Education Center at 501 East Miner Street in West Chester on October 31, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Admission is $10 (fee waived for tabling organizations), and food will be available for purchase. (For additional information, contact Bill Lockard at billlockard@deafcanPA.org.)
Our group has been invited to have a table at the event (and is, in fact, already listed on the event flyer). Ron Coburn of the Philadelphia AIUSA group told Barbara that they will send people to this event to participate at our table.
Upcoming regional AIUSA events
Savannah Fox, the AIUSA Mid-Atlantic regional organizer, send Marsha an e-mail that listed upcoming events in the region. These include:
- Death penalty abolition organizers needed (especially during/after the Pope's visit to Philly): Contact our state death penalty coordinator, Kathleen Lucas (firstname.lastname@example.org) for information.
- National Day of Action: My Body, My Rights campaign (September 28). Check out the toolkit and other info on the campaign page on the AIUSA website.
- Get on the Bus DC (October 2): This year's focus countries are Mexico, Sri Lanka, Syria, and the Dominican Republic.
- Fall Lobby weeks (October 12 through November 27): For more info on lobbying, contact PA's legislative coordinator, Julie Gallagher, at email@example.com.
- Petition on behalf of Julius Murphy, a Texas inmate on death row (Note: This is not an official AIUSA action but one brought by Barbara, who has communicated with Julius for several years.)
- Letter asking the Malaysian government to drop charges against nine peaceful protesters
- Letter on behalf of Israe Al-Taweet (Egypt)
Meeting on Wednesday, 21 October, 7:30 p.m., Wegman's cafe in Malvern