In attendance: Barbara, Bob, Dalin, Michele, Kara, Marsha, Chelsie, Bill
Welcome and Introductions
Actions and Updates
- Julius Murphy (a Texas inmate on death row) has been issued a stay of execution! [Details here]
- AI Urgent Action letter on behalf of Ali al-Nimr (Saudi Arabia) [Details here]
- AI Urgent Action letter on behalf of Narges Mohammadi (Iran) [Details here]
- Letter on behalf of our group's case file, Mohammed Sadiq Kabudvand (Iran) [Details here; note that this links to a 2012 document, but there is no update information about this individual]
- Discussion of our upcoming 2015 Write for Rights tabling event at Ten Thousand Villages in Exton in December; Barbara/Marsha to confirm with store management that we are indeed scheduled for December 12, 2-6 p.m.
Group bank account
Tilo discussed our situation with Wells Fargo. They've opened a new back account for us, with no monthly service fee as long as our balance is $500 (below that, the fee is $5/month).
AIUSA Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
Michele asked if a detailed schedule is available yet for the conference. It's not, but Barbara says it will be up later. [Conference website here]
Michele is considering making a day trip (Saturday) to the conference.
Barbara and Bob are definitely going to the conference. They will write up a post-event report for inclusion on our blog.
AIUSA communication issues
Barbara still has no response from AIUSA president Steven Hawkins in response to her letter to him about the lack of communication from the main office (and the lack of acknowledgement of checks our group has sent there).
Barbara is still working to get our group listed on the AIUSA website.
Bill Lockard of DeafCAN! talked about the Bars, Barriers, or Justice expo and conference to be held in West Chester next month. This event on prison justice issues will be held at the C.A. Melton Arts and Education Center at 501 East Miner Street in West Chester on 31 October 31 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (For additional information, contact Bill Lockard at billlockard@deafcanPA.org.)
Bill discussed his work on deaf advocacy and prison reform, and how he learned about the use of solitary confinement. He was hoping to get more people of color, immigrants, and former prisoners to participate in the conference but has had trouble finding contacts and making connections with those populations. He distributed copies of a documentary called Breaking Down the Box (NRCAT sent him lots of these in support of the conference).
Bars, Barriers, or Justice expo and conference on Saturday, 31 October [Barbara, Bob, and three members of the Philadelphia Center City AI group will be tabling together at this event]
AIUSA Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference on 13–15 November in Baltimore
Meeting on Wednesday, 18 November, 7:30 p.m., Wegman's cafe in Malvern
Write for Rights event / fundraising event on 12 December, 2–6 p.m. at Ten Thousand Villages in Exton