In attendance: Jeff, Barbara, Bob, Kara (in person!), Brendan, Tatiana, Marsha
Welcome and Introductions
Minutes (Marsha): All past minutes are up to date and posted on our blog
Social Media Director's Report (Barbara)
Spent $20 for two-day post boost on Facebook
Reached 387 people, 38 engagements ("likes")
The AIUSA Annual General Meeting will be held 23–25 February 2018 in Bethesda, MD.
- Information is at https://www.amnestyusa.org/take-action/events/amnesty-internationals-2018-annual-general-meeting.
- Bob and Barbara will attend and take notes to share with us.
- Bill Schomp plans to attend too.
Updates and Actions
- Jeff presented several happy updates to Urgent Action cases!
- Former POC [Prisoner of Conscience] Feared to be in Detention Again (China): UA 212/17
- New Threats against Indigenous Community (Kenya): UA 6/18
- Hundreds Arrested, Whereabouts Unknown (Sudan): UA 35.18
- 5-minute university: "Defending the Human Rights of Groups" (Barbara)
- Next month: the death penalty (Brendan)
- Prachi and the t-shirts (Marsha):
- We've long been interested in getting some official Amnesty International attire to wear at our meetings and other events but have been unable to source any ready-made items and hope to print our own designs.
- In a recent e-mail to our group Prachi Rao (our new regional field organizer) mentioned t-shirts. Does she have some or know where we can get some?
- Barbara has been communicating directly with Prachi for some time and will ask her about t-shirts. If Prachi says she can help us with this, we will need a volunteer from our group to take on the task of working out the details with her to order/print them.
Next meeting: Wednesday, 21 March 2018, 7:30 p.m., Wegmans cafe in Malvern