In attendance: Barbara, Jeff
Welcome and Introductions
We welcomed a visitor, born in Albania but now a US citizen, who was referred by friends to AIUSA. In 1997, visitor and his family attempted to flee by ship to Italy with other Albanians to escape violence and chaos of civil war. An Italian ship is alleged to have intentionally crashed into the refugee ship in the Strait of Otranto, and many passengers perished, including visitor's wife and son. The case was litigated in the Italian courts and referred to international courts. However, survivors have yet to receive any compensation. (See: https://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/31/world/albania-envoy-accuses-italy-in-sinking-of-refugee-boat.html.) Visitor is seeking an attorney to continue pursuing his case. We referred him to the Nationalities Service Center and HIAS (Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) PA in Philadelphia.
Brief discussion about possible fundraising on behalf of refugees from Cameroon.
- Communities in Boyaja, Choco (western Colombia) threatened by armed groups (Colombia): UA 169/19
- Three journalists arbitrarily detained (Egypt): UA 175/19
- Kurdish activist needs urgent medical care (Iran): UA 176/19
- 2019 Write for Rights cards and letters (final batch)
- Next group meeting: Wednesday, 19 February 2020, 7:30 p.m., Wegmans cafe in Malvern