21 September 2022
AIUSA Group 342 meeting (via Zoom)
In attendance: Barbara, Bob, Bill, Struan, Frank, Heather, Marsha
- Jeff is stepping away from Group 342 for a while.
- Bill wants to house a refugee—how can he find one?
- Barbara would like someone to serve as co-organizer for this group. Struan will consider taking this on.
- Let's think about moving to a hybrid meeting format with occasional in-person meetings at Wegmans.
- Discussion of the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act passed June 25. It's the first law in 28 years to address gun violence prevention. Its features include: firearm safety act support for red flag programs and closing the "boyfriend loophole." Credit card companies now agree to enact tracking code to track gun-related purchases.
- Recommendation of the Amnesty-promoted documentary The Sweetest Land, about gun violence in Hartford, Connecticut.
- There will be a Moms Agains Gun Violence rally in Harrisburg on September 25 to promote candidates who are working on gun violent prevention.
- Has Amnesty taken this off their website? (Bill can't find it there anymore.)
- Discussion of the "remain in Mexico" policy.
- Bill thinks there are fewer urgent actions available these days.
- The AI banned books website will be up until October 21.
- It's kind of like Write for Rights: there's photo for each case, and clicking on it takes you to information about it and a letter for action
- Mohamad Imran (Sri Lanka) released on bail on August 31.